July 12, 2007
Good Earth Japan's Approach to Personal Information Protection
As a nonprofit organization that provides support for developing countries, Good Earth Japan (hereinafter referred to as "GEJ") handles a variety of information: including technical information of our projects, and information entrusted to us by our supporters.
GEJ realizes the importance of such information and ensures that such information is treated with the respect it deserves.
So, GEJ has established an information control system and is implementing it thoroughly.
In light of these issues, together with the specification of rules and establishment of a management system, GEJ has fixed the personal information protection policy given below, informed executive staff and workers, and is striving to protect personal information appropriately by following this policy.
Definition of Personal Information
For GEJ, personal information is information that is related to existing persons and that can be used to identify specific persons (for example, names, birth dates, ages, genders, addresses, phone numbers, family structures, email addresses, details of workplaces, credit card numbers, details of purchases, details of home page accesses, contents of complaints or inquiries, and relevant information).
This includes information that cannot be used to identify individuals by itself, but can be used to identify individuals by easy cross-referencing with other data.
GEJ protects the rights of those who are identified by the personal information mentioned above.
Based on the Personal Information Protection Policy given below, GEJ will pay detailed attention to, and expend the utmost efforts on, protecting and managing such information.
This "About Personal Information Protection" document establishes the handling of personal information by GEJ.
Personal Information Protection Policy of GEJ
1. Collecting, Using, and Providing Personal Information
While carefully considering the entrusting of supporter information during our activities, GEJ will handle such information appropriately by establishing a management system for personal information protection, and also by following stipulated rules for collecting, using, or providing personal information.
2. Following Laws and Norms
For the handling of personal information, GEJ will follow the Japanese laws and norms applicable to the protection of relevant personal information.
Also, GEJ will create and follow personal information management rules that conform to these laws and norms.
3. Implementing Safety Measures
To ensure the correctness and safety of personal information, in accordance with the rules for information security, GEJ will implement various measures (such as managing access to personal information, restricting the means for transporting personal information outside the GEJ offices, and preventing incorrect access from outside GEJ), and strive to prevent any problems with personal information (such as the loss, destruction, falsification, or leakage of information).
4. Respecting Your Rights Regarding Your Personal Information
When you make a request to reveal, correct, or delete your own personal information, or seeks to prevent the use or provision of such information, GEJ will respond with sincerity, respecting your rights related to that personal information.
5. Establishing Rules for Managing Personal Information Protection, and Making Continual Improvements
GEJ will make sure that executive staff and workers recognize the importance of personal information protection, and will steadily establish rules for managing personal information to ensure that such information is used appropriately and is protected.
These rules will be maintained and improved continually.
Purpose of Using Personal Information
1. GEJ will use personal information only to achieve the following listed purposes.
- a) To perform all the activities managing our supporters (such as sending payment slips for the membership fee, receipts, thank-you notes, etc.)
- b) To send bulletins, reports, and e-mail newsletters
- c) To provide GEJ's products
- d) To provide information of various events of which GEJ is an organizer or a co-sponsor
- e) To perform summary and analysis of a questionnaire
- f) To execute duties under laws, regulations and norms
2. GEJ will not provide personal information to a third party without obtaining your prior consent, except for the following circumstances:
- a) When required to disclose or provide personal information to those entrusted to make our payments, request assistance for us, or dispatch our products.
- b) When required by law.
- c) When required to protect human life, to avoid injury, or to protect assets, and when obtaining your consent would be difficult.
- d) When required to co-operate with the lawful activities of a national agency, local government organization, or person or organization entrusted with such a task, and obtaining your consent would interfere, or be likely to interfere, with the carrying out of such activities.
- e) When providing a third party entrusted a business by GEJ with personal information in order to achieve the PURPOSE.
About Usage of Cookies and Web Beacons
For details, see the documentation for your web browser.
- (1) Cookie
- A cookie is a set of information sent by a Web server controlling a homepage to a browser.
A cookie may be stored as a file on your computer disk.
When a cookie is used, the web server can record information such as which computer visited which pages on the website.
However, GEJ cannot identify an individual person unless the person enters his or her own personal information into the website.
- (2) Web beacon
- This technology, which functions with a cookie, enables the beacon owner to know how many times a person accessed a particular page.
However, unless the customer enters his or her own personal information when, or after, the cookie is accepted, GEJ cannot identify an individual person.
Request to Customers
- Most of the services provided by GEJ can be used without requiring your personal information.
However, please understand that some services cannot be provided unless you provide personal information to GEJ.
- Please understand that GEJ is not responsible for the safety of personal information at websites of other organizations which are linked to the website of GEJ.
- It is assumed that you agree to the contents of this "About Information Protection" document when you enter personal information into the GEJ website.
If you do not agree with this "About Information Protection" document, you may be unable to use some of the GEJ inquiry services.
About Requests to Reveal, Correct, Add, Delete, or Disclose the PURPOSE for Personal Information, or Reception of Complaints
For personal information maintained by GEJ, please carry out the following when requesting GEJ to reveal, correct, add, delete, or disclose the PURPOSE for personal information (hereafter, collectively referred to as "reveal, etc."), or when complaining relating to the handling of personal information by GEJ:
1. For requests to reveal, etc.
Please come directly by yourself to any of GEJ's offices.
Please understand that GEJ may not accept requests to reveal, etc.
by mail, telephone or e-mail.
2. Identification of yourself
Please come with your identification document which has your photograph on it(i.e. passport, driver's license, etc.).
When requesting to reveal, etc., please understand that GEJ will make a copy of your identification document.
3. For complaints relating to handling of personal information:
Please directly come to the following inquiry desk, or contact by mail, telephone or e-mail.
4. Inquiry Desk
Good Earth Japan (nonprofit organization)
7F Sumitomo Fudosan Ueno Bldg, 9-3,Higashi-Ueno 6chome,Taitou-ku,Tokyo 110-0015,Japan